Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Foam
Ever heard of "PROOF OF LOCATION"?
This again is a hell of a project.
I have to study this and will bring you more later.
It is very technical.
https://www.foam.space/
What is this thing that builds our dreams, yet slips away from us?

Is this just being too clever? Is it needed and better than GPS? I can grasp that one satellite is vulnerable compared to 1000k local beacons but it will not be quick and easy to set up this network to a standard that competes with GPS.
HUm... looking forward to see what you think professor. Wink
Ok guys,
This is part of my research.
First watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJeMVh4tm1w

I will be posting more later but just start with this.

That is a very ambitious project. Technically it's not different (in principle) from cell tower multilateration https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_tracking, it's more the scale of the project that is going to be a huge challenge. Who should put up beacons? Would it be allowed in public places? I already see protest groups afraid of radiowaves being against this. Then there is the anonymity aspect. Do you want to be tracked all the time? (You are already if your phone is on). I also predict vandalism against the beacons for no reason at all.

I see that for tracking trucks, taxi's, police etc it serves a purpose, but the existing GPS is already available and most likely more than good enough with an insecurity of 10-20 m.

I don't believe in such a project for now. Maybe I get more informed.... Anyway my brain is in overload mode the week.
Cardano is the most promising 3 gen. crypto right now.

(2018-12-13, 09:30 AM)Carsten Wrote: That is a very ambitious project. Technically it's not different (in principle) from cell tower multilateration  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_phone_tracking, it's more the scale of the project that is going to be a huge challenge. Who should put up beacons? Would it be allowed in public places? I already see protest groups afraid of radiowaves being against this. Then there is the anonymity aspect. Do you want to be tracked all the time? (You are already if your phone is on). I also predict vandalism against the beacons for no reason at all.

I see that for tracking trucks, taxi's, police etc it serves a purpose, but the existing GPS is already available and most likely more than good enough with an insecurity of 10-20 m.

I don't believe in such a project for now. Maybe I get more informed.... Anyway my brain is in overload mode the week.

I believe the founders and devs have thought about it very well.
The radio beacons will be mini transmitters/recievers with a minimum of power.
They will be placed mostly in houses by people just like you and me. They will also be nodes to keep the network going. Protest groups afraid of radiowaves is an outdated ideology. I am sure 99.99999% of these people own cell phones and have wifi in their homes. Vandalism is of all ages. Road signs, traffic cameras, grafity, ... It is no big deal.
Regarding the anonymity aspect; sure they have thought about all that.
I will try to contact them and try to get some answers on these cons.

Have a look at this next video: 

I believe it has a lot more to offer than we imagine.
Almost all telecom providers offer location based services over their cell networks wich is quite expensive and it overloads their network. Imagine smartphones with build in these little beacons?

It can be used for chain supply, location based gaming, ....

Want to see some use cases and possibilities: https://blog.foam.space/the-future-with-...f9ce46b890

I hate the idea of being tracked. It is not that I am ever really up to anything wrong but just the principle of it. I have switched from an iPhone to a 20 year old Nokia - reinforcing that I am a dinosaur to my kids but it cuts down on so much noise - no emails, no WhatsApp, no social media (not that I am on anything other than linkedIn and twitter) etc.

I am swimming against a tide here as I do think that society is moving in the opposite direction though - that we cannot be separated from our devices and the net for any length of time. It cannot be healthy and I have over reacted for sure.
I can see the purpose for some applications. For instance in a business model like the postal service, health care providers, garbage collection, trucks etc. It makes sense to be possible to track the location of these people while at work.

Regarding tracking. In my car (I think it's standard today) there is a tracker so I can see where I have been on an app for the car. It also gives other information regarding time to service, fuel level etc. The most important reason for that tracker is in case of an accident. If that happens the car (if it can of course) will send a message about the location of the accident (based on GPS) to the alarm central. So even if was unconscious someone will come and help.
Cardano is the most promising 3 gen. crypto right now.