Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High performance laptop
Seems that both Hugues and I are looking for a new laptop.

I want 16 GB ram, 1 TB SSD and then the best possible GPU and best possible CPU. I have been looking at an Asus Zeenbook with those specifications. It also have a 4K screen (like the Dell xps 15 I have now) and 10 hour battery lifetime. 

Sadly for me that top model is not available with a Danish keyboard :-(

Any suggestions?
Cardano is the most promising 3 gen. crypto right now.

You guys buy laptops that cost as much as my car! You get what you pay for so that is fine but the last laptop I got I would be embarrassed to put the spec on here!
(2018-06-20, 01:38 PM)BobBobert Wrote: You guys buy laptops that cost as much as my car!  You get what you pay for so that is fine but the last laptop I got I would be embarrassed to put the spec on here!

Bob it's for professional use Big Grin

I need something powerful when I do software development.

(2018-06-20, 01:38 PM)BobBobert Wrote: You guys buy laptops that cost as much as my car!  You get what you pay for so that is fine but the last laptop I got I would be embarrassed to put the spec on here!

Bob, do still have a commodore 64 Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin 

Great machine Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I think I am going to follow juniors suggestion:
i7 CPU (the 8th gen) and a gtx 1070 or 1070ti or 1080 or 1080ti . And of cause ddr4 ram with at least 2133 MHz and 16gb of it.

If anyone knows good prices for these kind of machines... let me know.
What is this thing that builds our dreams, yet slips away from us?

I have made a lot of great programs on a Commodore 64!! Big Grin Seriously.

Later Amiga came along....then the PC revolution took of.

Yes Hugues. Trust me that Junior is good at negotiating computer parts!!! I know as his father!! He is having the most awesome homebuilt machine a teenager could ever dream about. Not only the computer but also the screen(s) and the screen refresh rate...and the cables to drive the screen....and so on and so forth.

Hold your horses before you buy. Let's coordinate and share. No rush. Please. I want to find the right one this time. I bought a Dell Xps 15 topmodel sepcs and have been quite satisfied, but it was OVER priced. I paid almost 3000 EUR for the machine and even it has 1 TB SSD, 16 GB ram, okay CPU for a 2 year old machine, 4K touch screen. I paid TOO much. One of the problems is the screen of 4K. Some (more or a lot) of programs don't scale well for 4K...and many other Windows issues.

(2018-06-20, 09:05 PM)Carsten Wrote: I have made a lot of great programs on a Commodore 64!! Big Grin  Seriously.

Later Amiga came along....then the PC revolution took of.

Yes Hugues. Trust me that Junior is good at negotiating computer parts!!! I know as his father!! He is having the most awesome homebuilt machine a teenager could ever dream about. Not only the computer but also the screen(s) and the screen refresh rate...and the cables to drive the screen....and so on and so forth.

Hold your horses before you buy. Let's coordinate and share. No rush. Please. I want to find the right one this time. I bought a Dell Xps 15 topmodel sepcs and have been quite satisfied, but it was OVER priced. I paid almost 3000 EUR for the machine and even it has 1 TB SSD, 16 GB ram, okay CPU for a 2 year old machine, 4K touch screen. I paid TOO much. One of the problems is the screen of 4K. Some (more or a lot) of programs don't scale well for 4K...and many other Windows issues.
I trust your and juniors expertise.

I do still have a Vic 20. Last time I fired it up it worked! Programmes stored on cassette tape - great fun!

When I worked for a big company they insisted that I had a state of the art laptop at that time. I think I barely used about 10% of what it could do. It was a dreadful waste but worse were the headphone/mic they gave me. Looked great, kids loved them for gaming and they cost more (5 years ago) than my last laptop (2 months ago) cost! It is nice to be spoiled.

This is actually a great thread and there is little chance of me joining in and buying such a high spec machine but I am dreaming as I read the thread Smile
I'm sure we can find many old devices in your home Bob. Yes, it's actually fun to see 20-30 year old stuff still working!

What about this custom made laptop?
15,6 inch Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Gaming Keyboard RGB LED (Belgische layout)
Intel® Core™ i7-8750H 4,1GHz
RAM: 32GB DDR4-2133MHz SODIMM
First disk:500GB SSD Crucial MX500
second disk: 1000GB SSD Crucial MX500
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
6 in 1 Card reader
Intel Wireless AC + Bluetooth
Windows 10 Pro

All this for €1.894,00

Why 2 disks?