Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Security/Two step verification
These days many sites support 2 step authentication. It is a very efficient way to prevent outsiders to get access to your web based accounts.
Google Authenticator is one of the most used TFA systems.

What if you loose your phone or your phone is broken?
Once you have enabled TFA in your account you will always be asked a TFA code to access your account. No TFA code = no access to your account.

In case you don't have access to your phone anymore due to theft, loss or failure you should have back up.

These is how to:

How to
What is this thing that builds our dreams, yet slips away from us?

Hugues without reading the How To it seems to be what to do if you have a new phone and not in the case you loose your phone.

So let me try briefly to explain what to do when you enable two step authentication. You will see a QR code and a 16 letters in capital. You SHOULD/MUST (DO IT) copy the 16 letters and store them securely. In case you lose your phone you can use the letters to restore you two step authentication for the given service on a new device. You have to store the letters for EACH service you enable two step for.

If you have an extra phone or iPad or Android tablet you can at the time you enable two step authentication scan the QR code on both your phone and the extra device. Remember to store the 16 letter code anyway!!
Cardano is the most promising 3 gen. crypto right now.

(2017-12-01, 03:14 PM)Carsten Wrote: Hugues without reading the How To it seems to be what to do if you have a new phone and not in the case you loose your phone.

So let me try briefly to explain what to do when you enable two step authentication. You will see a QR code and a 16 letters in capital. You SHOULD/MUST (DO IT) copy the 16 letters and store them securely. In case you lose your phone you can use the letters to restore you two step authentication for the given service on a new device. You have to store the letters for EACH service you enable two step for.

If you have an extra phone or iPad or Android tablet you can at the time you enable two step authentication scan the QR code on both your phone and the extra device. Remember to store the 16 letter code anyway!!

I believe it works the same way if you loose your phone. When you loose your phone you will buy a new one? So what's the difference?

What you see there is ONLY for your Google service. It will not work for the other services. Therefore the need for backup of the 16 character letters.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

In your link it says this VERY important statement down in the article:

"Before removing the authenticator from your original device, remember to move your other accounts that are using the app. You'll need to visit each site individually and scan the QR code with your new device."

So I think I'm right. Last I got a new phone (samsung galaxy s8 edge+) I manually had to add each of my crypto exchanges two step authentication.

(2017-12-01, 04:08 PM)Carsten Wrote: In your link it says this VERY important statement down in the article:

"Before removing the authenticator from your original device, remember to move your other accounts that are using the app. You'll need to visit each site individually and scan the QR code with your new device."

So I think I'm right. Last I got a new phone (samsung galaxy s8 edge+)  I manually had to add each of my crypto exchanges two step authentication.

Is it possible to rescan the qr codes from each of the sites?

(2017-12-01, 04:23 PM)Hugues Wrote:
(2017-12-01, 04:08 PM)Carsten Wrote: In your link it says this VERY important statement down in the article:

So I think I'm right. Last I got a new phone (samsung galaxy s8 edge+)  I manually had to add each of my crypto exchanges two step authentication.

Is it possible to rescan the qr codes from each of the sites?

If you lose your phone you are in trouble. No you can not rescan the orginal QR code. You can scan a new code if you can get in!