Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Real Work Coin
Hey guys, hugues sent me here.

Said you guys were interested in developing a new coin.

I forked Gridcoin and went through setting up the environment but it was a real pain in the ass.

Instead I've moved to the Ethereum block chain.

I've developed the technology already, it's quite simple. I need to do some testing, but essentially it will be a standard ETH token, with a centralized server that pulls the credit info from BOINC project's webRPC, and pushes Proof of Work for everyone. The central service is necessary because ETH does not currently allow contracts access to the internet (Vitalik PLZ.)

That is okay though, it actually simplifies things. 

I'll be looking at setting up and ICO when the tech is tested. The tech is super simple, there isn't much to test, but I would like to run it for a while just to make sure.

The ICO is going to look like this:

10% of coins held in reserve
5% of coins held to be paid to developers, and other costs such as exchange listing.
10% of coins to be sold in ICO for ETH, somewhere around .01 USD/coin.

I'll be back in this thread over the next day or two to let you know where I am at, but I really don't expect this to take any time at all. It's as simple as setting up a forward facing site to accept sign-ups, and then pulling that DB and matching it to the BOINC projects, then pushing the results of those calculations into the blockchain. One of the advantages of this is that we will not required users to be a part of a specific group! This way we can push for full adoption across the BOINC network.

For now I am going to sleep!

See you guys tomorrow.
Hi and welcome

I did sadly not master the crypto development yet. Lack of time and focus on something else, but it seems you do.

Us in here were stupid enough to invest in Rimbit that was the work of a single man. None of us will ever back a single man project again.

I'm sure you do know that there are almost 900 coins out there, so you need to have something unique to get people involved.

We are of course ready to hear your ideas.

I suggest when you present your ideas you should split your words in two. One part should be none technical and one should be technical. Reason is that most are not familiar with the technical part and don't care about it. It's like driving a car. You don't need to know how it works to drive it.
Cardano is the most promising 3 gen. crypto right now.

(2017-06-15, 06:27 AM)Carsten Wrote: Hi and welcome

I did sadly not master the crypto development yet. Lack of time and focus on something else, but it seems you do.

Us in here were stupid enough to invest in Rimbit that was the work of a single man. None of us will ever back a single man project again.

I'm sure you do know that there are almost 900 coins out there, so you need to have something unique to get people involved.

We are of course ready to hear your ideas.

I suggest when you present your ideas you should split your words in two. One part should be none technical and one should be technical.  Reason is that most are not familiar with the technical part and don't care about it. It's like driving a car. You don't need to know how it works to drive it.
Let's think together with TheGhostLove.
I like the idea and the concept.
Maybe if we think together we can find some other ideas to put in this coin to make it more unique to attract a solid community.

Welcome to this forum TheGhostLove.
What is this thing that builds our dreams, yet slips away from us?

Welcome indeed TheGhostLove!

I would back up Carsten's analogy completely. I can drive but whilst I have heard of words like spark plug and fuel injection I have not really got any understanding of them. So iwould appreciate the Idiots Guide more than most!

Good luck with your venture and I hope we can help you somehow.
Listen, I appreciate that you've been scammed in the past and are weary about adopting a new coin.

That being said, I have no intention of forcing this coin on you, this is an opportunity not an obligation. I'm certain I will have plenty of investors.

There are several unique features about this coin. First, there are only 2 active real-work coins that I am aware of; those being Gridcoin and Curecoin. There are also 2 or 3 in early stages before release.

Golem is one of the up-coming real work coins, and they raised $250 million worth of ETH in their ICO. They are still in alpha. They are ethereum based. You should invest in them, but they are not seeking investment.

Curecoin is a good coin, they run on top of the folding@home network, and are looking at supporting BOINC I believe. You should support them.

Gridcoin is a bad coin, they run on top of the BOINC network, and are the coin I am looking to replace. While they have a large group of miners, their development is awful, slow, and full of bugs. The code is essentially a fork of peercoin with minimal changes; peercoin itself is a fork of bitcoin with minimal changes. I've been trough the whole source code, and its an awful mess. I've been monitoring its development, and let me say it is going nowhere any time soon; it's value is mostly being pushed by Pump and Dump groups on exchanges.

This coin will be a token factory running on top of the ethereum network, similar to goelm which is much better technology then these old coins.

Second, Golem is a work-for-sale type coin, where as this  would be a work-for-research coin. It will be less valuable then golem, but I do not expect them as major competition. You should invest in golem if you can, it would be your first choice. This coin would be your second choice.

Third, Gridcoin is the largest coin currently running on top of the BOINC network. Supplanting them would give us access to a unique market. I plan to run parallel to their coin to begin. BOINC is currently looking to update their systems, and I am pushing them to adopt blockchains but there is much resistance. As a second step in development we would be looking to replace the project entirely with our own distributed-work network similar to golem.

Frankly I am insulted at your response. I was told you were interested in starting a coin, and now I am met with hostility. I was told some of you were developers which does not appear to be the case. I am not interested in pandering to skeptical investors, I am looking for development assistance. 

Further more, you don't need to know the technical aspects of a car to drive one, but you DO need to know the technical aspects of a car if you are going to invest in a car manufacturing company. How can you invest in any coin without understanding why it works or what is its purpose? This is exactly what scammers target. This is how you get scammed.

For the record, that WAS the idiots guide to the technology. I originally wrote a more technical post and decided to keep those parts out.

Hughes: You told me there were developers here? I must repeat that I am NOT looking for financial investment.
Look you have to understand that we all have been scammed so we are cautious.

If you are not looking for investors then I don't understand you original post?
I see in your second post you say you are not interested in investors.
Based on your comment to Hugues you want to talk to developers. I'm a developer but not on any blockchain tech yet. I'm in the Windows world C#, WPF, Cloud computing, math heavy projects, WCF and then Android as well.

I also do not understand why you are insulted. Maybe that's the problem with written posts and none native English speakers.

(2017-06-15, 11:24 AM)TheGhostLove Wrote: Listen, I appreciate that you've been scammed in the past and are weary about adopting a new coin.

That being said, I have no intention of forcing this coin on you, this is an opportunity not an obligation. I'm certain I will have plenty of investors.

There are several unique features about this coin. First, there are only 2 active real-work coins that I am aware of; those being Gridcoin and Curecoin. There are also 2 or 3 in early stages before release.

Golem is one of the up-coming real work coins, and they raised $250 million worth of ETH in their ICO. They are still in alpha. They are ethereum based. You should invest in them, but they are not seeking investment.

Curecoin is a good coin, they run on top of the folding@home network, and are looking at supporting BOINC I believe. You should support them.

Gridcoin is a bad coin, they run on top of the BOINC network, and are the coin I am looking to replace. While they have a large group of miners, their development is awful, slow, and full of bugs. The code is essentially a fork of peercoin with minimal changes; peercoin itself is a fork of bitcoin with minimal changes. I've been trough the whole source code, and its an awful mess. I've been monitoring its development, and let me say it is going nowhere any time soon; it's value is mostly being pushed by Pump and Dump groups on exchanges.

This coin will be a token factory running on top of the ethereum network, similar to goelm which is much better technology then these old coins.

Second, Golem is a work-for-sale type coin, where as this  would be a work-for-research coin. It will be less valuable then golem, but I do not expect them as major competition. You should invest in golem if you can, it would be your first choice. This coin would be your second choice.

Third, Gridcoin is the largest coin currently running on top of the BOINC network. Supplanting them would give us access to a unique market. I plan to run parallel to their coin to begin. BOINC is currently looking to update their systems, and I am pushing them to adopt blockchains but there is much resistance. As a second step in development we would be looking to replace the project entirely with our own distributed-work network similar to golem.

Frankly I am insulted at your response. I was told you were interested in starting a coin, and now I am met with hostility. I was told some of you were developers which does not appear to be the case. I am not interested in pandering to skeptical investors, I am looking for development assistance. 

Further more, you don't need to know the technical aspects of a car to drive one, but you DO need to know the technical aspects of a car if you are going to invest in a car manufacturing company. How can you invest in any coin without understanding why it works or what is its purpose? This is exactly what scammers target. This is how you get scammed.

For the record, that WAS the idiots guide to the technology. I originally wrote a more technical post and decided to keep those parts out.

Hughes: You told me there were developers here? I must repeat that I am NOT looking for financial investment.

TheGhostLove, I never told you we were devs. I told you this: " I am in a forum with some guys. a small forum but one of the guys who set up that forum was planning to create a new coin. We ran out of ideas and the project is a bit on hold."
So I suppose there is a little missunderstanding. Sorry for that. My intention was that if you needed some help, you should talk to Carsten who has the most coding experience of all in this forum.

I still like your idea.

Maybe we all should rewind and start over again without any heartfeelings.

I was only shocked I suppose at your hostility. "None of us will ever back a single man project again". Most projects start with one person. Perhaps caution is a better word, but I was led to believe by hughs that you were a developer interested in starting a block chain. My original post was to inform your of the technology to see if you were interested in getting involved with the development.

Blockchain tech is very simple, especially using the Ethereum network. I don't really need any help at all to be honest, just looking for some people who were enthusiastic about a new project. It helps to have different eyes checking for vulnerabilities in the source. In this case the project is so simple there is not much to check.

Other things I would need help with include branding and reaching out to partners, exchanges etc.

In any case, it's probably best if we part ways here. I was looking for people with more experience. I will have to look elsewhere.
Good idea Hugues! Sometimes written words leads to misunderstandings. I tend to be "brutal" in my writing. Look through that and let's talk.

Probably a Skype session would be a way to go to hear you out. PM me for my Skypeid.

(2017-06-15, 04:10 PM)TheGhostLove Wrote: I was only shocked I suppose at your hostility. "None of us will ever back a single man project again". Most projects start with one person. Perhaps caution is a better word, but I was led to believe by hughs that you were a developer interested in starting a block chain. My original post was to inform your of the technology to see if you were interested in getting involved with the development.

Blockchain tech is very simple, especially using the Ethereum network. I don't really need any help at all to be honest, just looking for some people who were enthusiastic about a new project. It helps to have different eyes checking for vulnerabilities in the source. In this case the project is so simple there is not much to check.

Other things I would need help with include branding and reaching out to partners, exchanges etc.

In any case, it's probably best if we part ways here. I was looking for people with more experience. I will have to look elsewhere.

Don't hurry TheGhostLove. There is no reason to leave yet. We got a bad start but it doesn't have to stay this way. Give the people the time to think and overview it. We are all working people. We all need to get some time to be here in this forum and to review ideas that grow here in the several posts. You should know that the main reason why this forum was set up is that we were scammed and were trying to warn others from being scammed too. We also wanted to find solutions to solve this scamming problem. It was then that bit by bit we were thinking in the direction of a new coin. Nothing was concrete yet. Now you are here we can maybe proceed our (yours too) ideas.
Maybe you should have a skype session with Carsten or with a few of us together. Just a suggestion!
This forum is meant to be democratic with freedom of speech.