Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mental Health
In November and December, my busiest months, I got involved with a local group of men who promote good mental health amongst men.  To raise some money and awareness we clubbed together and did a virtual e-cycle from Lands End to John O'Groats (this is called LEJOG and it is the two furthest points apart in the UK).  It was a tough cycle as we are all working men with families but we got there and raised over £2000 as well as making the local news.

Just after we finished the cycle, I found out that one of my friends had jumped/fallen to their death. He had suffered from poor mental health for a long time.  We met at university on our first day and became good friends.  Even though our careers took us to differing parts of the UK, we kept in touch.  He was only 40 years old.

Men can cry, we can ask for help. We should not "man up" and pretend all is ok when it is not.  

January is a bad time for a man to be down, what with the cold darkness and there are too many men at risk.  If you know someone, check up on them, see if you can include them in something.

I wish you all, good mental health for 2020 and that you and your men friends support one another.
There is good and bad news in your story Bob.

It's very good what you did on the virtual e-cycle race. Maybe it should be put on the blockchain :-)

Dying of poor mental health at the age of 40 is really sad. Especially if he didn't have a mental history. How can that happen? I mean was it something physical or did his brain just shut down?

You are right about this time of year. I hate January. It's dark, gray and moist. Not even winter here with frost and snow. Be careful all above 40. Take stress seriously. Exercise and walk.....(I don't do the walking and don't exercise enough)
Cardano is the most promising 3 gen. crypto right now.

The group I am part of here believe that exercise releases a lot of endorphins (spelling?) and so we are encouraged to do something and report to each other what we have done. If I do not report at least once a week then I get chased up! We use tech, an app called MyZone, where we are all friends and we can see what each other has done.

My friend did have issues at university - we both did the same first degree and whilst he was not vocal about his problems then, it was clear to some of us the issues were present. We both did Masters afterwards (but different areas) and it was then that he could no longer keep his mental health issues private. Generally his medication kept him level but over the years he would have huge meltdowns every couple of years but live normally inbetween times. Sadly the medication affected his ability to study and he did not finish his PhD.

He had been in good form for around 3 years before he stopped his medication and it al became too much.

I got involved with my group, not realising the depth of the problem for a lot of men. I live in an area where there are a lot of military people (the submarine base is nearby) and there is a higher than average percentage of menfolk from that sort of background who have mental health issues.
A surveillance app for fitness! That's really something. Seems to be working for your group, but I don't think I would ever do that.

It's about 10% or so of all men that have some mental issues, but that doesn't mean they need treatment. Wonder if Trump is having a condition as well.... Big Grin

It very much feels like surveillance! It means that we are accountable to each other as well as supporting each other. Great in theory but in practice when you have not done everything you said you would and you know you are accountable...

The group has been going for a year so I am a fairly new member and my aims are a lot lower than some. plus some have differing aims - like one wants to run a marathon this year so his goals are all about running and building up to a marathon whereas someone else wants to bench press his own weight so his goals are very different.

Not for everyone for sure but for some it works very well.
Right now I'm not that disciplined about exercise. A lot of other issues is taking up energy so it has to come back in time.

Actually this morning I took an indoor run of 5 km....long time since I did that.

A run of 5km is very good! Finding time is hard especially when we work and have families too as well as all the other things that go on in life. I do more exercise each week now than I have done for maybe 7 or 8 years so that will be good but it is taking discipline and that is why the app is good - it makes us accountable.
The run is on a machine. It's not as hard as running in nature (in this case).

Good you exercise. It's good for you and it's good for all of us.

5k on a machine is a lot better than nothing sitting at a desk! I have not tried an exercise bike in front of a TV yet but catching up on the news and cycling at the same time must be a reasonable thing to try too.
(2020-01-14, 11:52 AM)BobBobert Wrote: 5k on a machine is a lot better than nothing sitting at a desk!  I have not tried an exercise bike in front of a TV yet but catching up on the news and cycling at the same time must be a reasonable thing to try too.

For steady state training on a machine I can watch something "light" on a tablet, but doing HIIT you WON'T be looking at anything!!