Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Report: Facebook Acquires Blockchain Startup in Apparent First
I don't like Facebook at all, but can't ignore that they are making a lot of money and since billion of people use their services their influence is significant. They just bought a blockchain company. 

https://cointelegraph.com/news/report-fa...rent-first

[Image: 740_aHR0cHM6Ly9zMy5jb2ludGVsZWdyYXBoLmNv...5qcGc=.jpg]
Cardano is the most promising 3 gen. crypto right now.

It may help towards general acceptance if Facebook get properly involved. But it is facebook and I would not trust them at all.
This is a news article from the BBC, there is a campaign in the UK just now about social media and people's rights.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/technology...ter-s-data

In this story a young girl, 14 spent some time just before she killed herself on social media but they refuse to let her parents know what she was watching. The poor parents are wanting to help others, and to get some stuff banned from social media about self harming and suicide where horrible images are used inappropriately. Since social media companies show no compassion I can see no reason to trust them at all.
I don't like Facebook. They are in it for them self and that alone. It's a business. Nothing wrong with that. What I hate is that we don't know the rules for when stuff are banned or when it's not.

Regarding the young girl then it's tragic. Still I prefer free speech over banning. We are obligated to talk to our kids about HOW to deal with social medias. Many misbehave and many are indirect causing young people to kill themself. Tragic....we need to educate instead of banning.

Too many people who are too young are on social media. We ban alcohol and sex to people who are under 16 so why not social media? My kids are at a reasonably good school BUT even there fights are being recorded and uploaded onto social media. I assume it is worse at schools that are not as good as this one.

Anyway, I do not trust facebook, they care not for people but only money.
(2019-02-08, 12:38 PM)BobBobert Wrote: Too many people who are too young are on social media.  We ban alcohol and sex to people who are under 16 so why not social media?  My kids are at a reasonably good school BUT even there fights are being recorded and uploaded onto social media.  I assume it is worse at schools that are not as good as this one.  

Anyway, I do not trust facebook, they care not for people but only money.

Same here Bob. Now the suggest to ban smartphones when the kids are in the locker room. There has been examples of recordings in there by the kids uploading stuff to social medias.

Kids travel from up to 45 minutes away by bus to my kids school so phones are almost a necessity for them. I am not sure what the answer is - hand them in first thing in the morning and collect as you head home? We managed fine in my day with no phones at all.
(2019-02-12, 03:19 PM)BobBobert Wrote: Kids travel from up to 45 minutes away by bus to my kids school so phones are almost a necessity for them.  I am not sure what the answer is - hand them in first thing in the morning and collect as you head home?  We managed fine in my day with no phones at all.

I don't know the solution either. Yes, some schools take the phones in the morning, others don't. The major problem with phones for kids is that they easily distract them from the task at hand. The ability to focus during a longer period is lost in todays kids. If the schools can figure out to integrate the use of smartphones as part of a giving task then it's really thumbs up from me. 

Yes Bob. Back when I was a child my mom would just shoot out of the window to call me in!